Saturday, March 21, 2009

I also wrote this one time

‘Charades’

"To a life well played."
"Cheers!" I happily congratulate myself. With the flick of the wrist I toss back a gin and tonic, my third, I think, or was it my fourth? Well, it makes no difference really; after all, this is a celebration.
"What a dreadfully delightful party," I say to myself.
"Could one have better company on such a dearly special occasion?" I wonder aloud.
"I highly doubt it," I reply seriously.
"Still, it is a shame though," I reflect through a half merry, half wistful smile, "that we are the only ones who can enjoy this parade."
"Indeed it is," I reply gravely.
With beaming eyes and a radiant glow that only a series of well-toasted gin and tonics can give one, I look at the passersby and begin to whistle a little ditty my grandfather taught me.
"Did I say parade? Yes, yes I did. I think I meant Charade."
A light flickers, on, then off for a few seconds, and then on, like the fluttering heart of a young lover or the nearly dead.
"Yes, charade," being now quite convinced that it is a charade.
I suddenly realize that I have yet to toast the charade. "To a charade well played! For what better life is there than the life that never was. Cheers!" and with the flick of the wrist, I toss back my third gin and tonic, or was it my fourth?

No comments:

Post a Comment