Sunday, April 26, 2009

Multimedia Writing Post 5

On the subject of literature and literary....

I'm not so sure what I think about this subject. It does seem like new media works are essentially literary, but can they be categorized with literature under one umbrella term?
We don't term a painting that creates dual metaphors using a new medium as literary, but it is essentially the same, sometimes.

Because there are so many new avenues available in hypermediated literature, I think that there should be some new term. I think that these new media works should get a new name all their own. This medium could be called something like multiliterature or litermedia. I don't have a doctorate degree in anything so my opinion is bound to come off somewhat ignorant.

New media has opened up doors and windows to the literate mind in ways that have never been available before. What the future holds for it is uncertain, but it is going to develop. The great thinkers of our time will make sure of that. I believe that hypermediated literature will eventually remediate to the point that it is only slightly related to what we consider literature. Because of this, we should not hinder ourselves by so closely relating it to literature. We should encourage and develop this as an entirely new opportunity for the mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment