Saturday, January 31, 2009

Multimedia Writing Post 2

My better instinct tells me that I should spread out my blog subjects so that I can get all eight of the required posts done faster, but I really need to get this out. I'm really enjoying Multimedia media/writing or whatever you want to call it, but some of the texts we cover definitely require some ranting. First off, I want to briefly cover something that I read by Bolter on the remediation of text through the use of graphical presentation. I could not agree more with him! In contrasting the visual presentation of information and media in the 'late age of print' with that of historically textual presentation I agree that there has been a heavy handed remediation toward graphical representation. I've noticed that a lot of industries seem to have shifted from the textual and (I believe) therefore intellectual engagement of the consumer or reader to a sort of seductive allure with graphical allusion which engages the reader in some kind of an associative nostalgia.

I'm going to have to take a break before I get on the next subject of this post, Donna Haraway's "Cyborg Manifesto" which by the way gave me nightmares.


After thinking it over for a few days (I'm slow like that lol) I can honestly say that Haraway has some valid points in her essay. However, I still haven’t got a clue as to what she was talking about through most of what I read, and I know it's not just in my head when I say that I definitely picked up on some hostility toward the masculine gender. That aside, I can definitely see why she believes that we are all cyborgs. While writing my memoir it became apparent to me that things like my cell phone and online profiles are an extension of myself.

2 comments:

Sara and Brian said...

Chance, I think your assessment of Bolter on print/graphics is dead on. It may be that we have become so accustomed to seeing images along with text in webbed environments that we have come to demand those visual elements.

On another note, I would love to hear more about which aspects of Haraway's work gave you nightmares (your even saying that makes me think that you do, in fact, get what she was saying).

Hellish Saint said...

I agree with you 100% that your cell phone and online profiles are an extension of yourself. I think some of us use online profiles are a voice that we normally don't use to say who we are. This can be bad in a way though..

Post a Comment